Marathi Vagmaya Mandal
Chairperson: Prof Nitin Arekar
- Mrs. Namrata Patil, Co-chairperson
- Dr. Subhash Athavale, Member
- Mr. Prashant Patil
- Ms. Prachiti Garud
- Ms. Vrushali Kamble
- Mr. Akshay Jamdade
- Mrs. Savita Patil
- Ms. Pushpa Jadhav
- Ms. Seema Singh- Choudhary
- Mr. Mandar Sawant, Student secretary
- Ms.Sakshi Harad, Student member
- Ms. Vedika Naravae, Student member
Marathi Vangmay Mandal is a statutory association that comes under the Marathi Department, where all students participate. Though it is a language based activity, a large number of Non- Marathi speaking students have actively contributed to the MVM activity.
For the last 57 years Marathi Vangmaya Mandal has been engaged in bringing students in touch with cultural movements outside their usual educational curriculum which lead to Leadership qualities, Creative activities, Communication skill, Artistic Competence. This is reflected in List of Alumni students.
MVM organizes various competitions such as Poetry Writing & Recitation Competition, Essay Writing Competitions, Kite Competition (A Unique Feature celebrating Kite Festival with decorating Kites with Love Poems by the Students, of the great Marathi Poets), Acting Competition, Theatre Workshop, Rangoli Workshop, Painting Workshop, Folk Arts And Folk Theatre Workshop for the students of the college. MVM takes the lead in celebrating Guru Pournima, Teachers’ Day in the college.
Teachers from Marathi department have contributed to the college cultural activity in various capacities. They are instrumental in foundation of Marathi Abhyas Kendra. Dr. Jyotika Ozarkar was a mentor to this organization; and Dr. Nitin Arekar is one of the founders of this registered trust and he headed the fund raising committee of it.
MVM & Department of Marathi organize numerous competitions related to language & literature. Wall paper Patheya (since 1965) provides a platform to the learners to develop their literary, editorial and linguistic skills. Readers’ Club Vachta Vachta is its distinctiveness. Learners share their reviews, critics on the books they read here.
In line of the college vision and mission, MVM strives hard for the holistic development of the learner by conducting various activities. Innovative approach of the department and college, MVM train the learners for better tomorrow. It conducts workshops on various skills that would help the learners for the employment. Value added activities of the department and MVM groom the learners. Learners donate books to the department on auspicious occasion of Guru Pournima, Shiva Jayanti Utsav, Marathi Bhasha Samvardhan Pandhravada (Marathi Bhasha Development Fortnightly Program) and Marathi Bhasha Gaurav Divas are distinctive activities of the MVM and the college for development of state and regional language Marathi.
College feels that a learner should be a good citizen of this great country. In tune with the college vision and mission, MVM and the department organize several awareness programs like RTI awareness, voting awareness, democracy awareness, gender equality, environmental issues and so on.
The department of Marathi & MVM try to go beyond books by organizing field visits to the places described in the novels or in their syllabus.eg. visit to Akshi, near Alibag where first ever Marathi stone scripts are available, visit to Asud, a village in district Ratnagiri to relive the life of Garambicha Bapu, the hero of the novel Garambicha Bapu.
To inculcate social responsibilities among the learners; is an important mission of the education system. Department of Marathi & MVM visit Shantivan, an Ashram for leprosy hit people, an old age home and a place for 100% disabled ones and celebrate Diwali with them since beginning of new millennium to inculcate social values amongst the learners. Alumni make it a point to attend the program.
Dept of Marathi has an active Face book page and YouTube channel which keep us in tune with the era.
Strong Alumni bonding is the strength of the department. They frequently visit the department; department invite them as Guests for various programs to share their experiences.
Prominent Alumni of MVM Are:
- Prachi Khanvilkar: Kathak, Nritya Guru
- Meera Kadu: Principal, Dombe School, Karjat
- Dinesh Adavdkar: News Reader, Akashvani
- Shreeram Kelkar: News Reader, Doordarshan
- Aishwarya Narkar: Actress, Hindi & Marathi Theatre and Cinema
- Shalaka Pawar-Desai: Actress, Hindi & Marathi Theatre and Cinema
- Manoj Desai: Singer, Music Composer
- Rupali Pawar: Singer
- Saurabh Hiwarekar: Tabla Guru
- Netra Sahasrabuddhe-Narawane: Bharat Natyam Nritya Guru
- Vivek Bhagwat: Tabla Guru
- Sujata Kulkarni: Poetess, HOD, Dept of Marathi, Karjat College
- Aarati Shiyekar-Kulkarni: Singer, CA, USA
- Sachin Muley: Play Back Singer, Music Composer
- Aditi Bhadsavle: Actress, Kathak Dancer
- Vallabh Bhingarde: Dubbing Artist
- Paresh Shirodkar: Famous Western Dancer and Dance Guru
- Ramesh Koli: Kuchipudi Dancer, Nritya Guru
- Amey Tirodkar, Journalist, Ramnath Goenka Awardee
- G Karthik Iyer: Western Dance Maestro
- Vian Fernandez, World famous pop singer, Music Composer
- Piyush Mehroiya, Bollywood singer
- Snehal Borkar, Actress
- Sanish Nair, Singer
- Ravikiran Jadhav, Flutist
- Rupesh Shirsat, Guitarist
- Bhavesh Sharma, Bitbox Singer
- Abhijit Pawar, Actor
- Atul Aglawe, Actor
- Poorva Kaushik, Actress, Zee Gaurav Awardee
- Vipul Kale, Director
- Gaurav Malankar, Actor
- Sneha Salvi, Actress
- Shivali Parab, Comedian